Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Sing It, Daddy!

Given the news from the Supernatural offices, I think there's a subject we need to talk about.
Musicals.
Let me tell you guys something. I grew up in a house very much full of musical theatre. My sister was and is way into it and I've been in a few shows myself. As a result, I tend to think almost anything can be improved through serenade-aided dramatization. And as a result of that, I love a good musical episode.
I mean, think about it. Select a fictional world you love and imagine it set to music. TVD, Tolkien, Harry Potter(thank you, Starkid)...It's an adventure just thinking about it.
My personal favorite musicalization(new word, new word) is "Once More With Feeling" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's pretty famous as far as TV musical episodes go; it made it onto Channel4's top 100 musicals list at number 13, and for good reason. It's awesome. Not only does it actually have some pretty sick music, it makes-for Buffy-a fair amount of sense. 
There's just something about putting a story to music. It adds an extra dimension to the emotion and performance. There's nothing like the Crew doing an ensemble number, or the brooding darkhorse singing a melancholy solo, or getting to watch your OTP sing a duet.
I'm guessing it comes from the whole song-matching thing. I don't know 'bout you guys, but I tend to associate various songs with various characters, scenes, books, etc. It's where all graphics come from. Letting that become canon...who had this idea? Can I send them flowers?
I mean, it's not like it always goes well. Look at Turn Off the Dark-though the closing of that particular show was more toward cost and truly prodigious amounts of injury than actual suckiness of performance, to my knowledge. As far as I can see, pulling a few high Cs from our favorite characters almost always goes well. The announcement that theatreworksusa was putting on a musical version of The Lightning Thief got a similarly chilly reception, until it opened and started winning people over by the dozen. Personally, I'm in favor. And I can't wait to see what the lyricists do with Jared and Jensen.
May your swords stay sharp and your chocolate stocks always plentiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment