Thursday, July 24, 2014

A Collar of Shame

Whew! Fresh off a second vacation and several books, I have a brand-new review for you guys. I just finished this book this morning, but, to be perfectly honest, I can't shut up about it. Today's subject is Leigh Bardugo's awesome debut, Shadow and Bone.
Again, I'm tackling a very spoilery novel, so the only thing I can really say is, it's great, it's wonderful, go read it. It's got twice as many twists and turns as a roller coaster, so I wouldn't advise finding out much beforehand. Do yourself a favor and skeedadle.
Okay, let me let something out. Just hang tight. This book is perhaps the most confusing thing I've ever read-in the best way possible. In the words of Buffy Summers, "The who whatting how with huh?" I have rarely spent more time gripping a book's edges, resisting the urge to scream out loud, "WHAT THE #$%^& IS GOING ON HERE".
That said, this isn't a bad thing. Plot twists are a good thing, and excellent plot twists a rare one. This novel was actually a lot like riding a roller coaster. Fast, head-tilting, and never, ever boring.
This is, in no small part, due to the characters. My Cas, the characters. I have to say, my absolute favorite might be the Darkling-dashing love interest, mysterious, dangerous authority, and fully confusing and ambiguous villain. (I did not see that coming). When Genya started talking about the pull around him, I was probably nodding along. It's definitely felt both in-story and out.
But, as apparently Ms. Bardugo is no slouch, the whole cast measures up well. Alina, the lead, is a fantastic, well-characterized heroine, both strong and utterly vulnerable. One of(if not my favorite)my favorite scenes is right in the middle, at Baghra's. To badly summarize an amazing moment, Alina remembers her first meeting with Grisha and realizes she is one of them, fully embracing her own power. I don't know about you guys, but I was practically gripping my seat to keep from doing a happy dance. Her self-realization is just so amazing to watch.
And then there's Mal...Ah, Mal. I don't know what to say about you. You're sweet? You're awesome? You're a disgrace? I spent more than half this novel so angry at you for making Alina unhappy. I'm still not positive what I think of you. I guess it'll have to wait for Siege and Storm.(*squees happily at the thought of more books*)
The world of the Grisha pulled me in utterly. It's clear she put some real work into this 'verse; I don't think something so interesting and elaborate could just be a fluke. From the clear ties to Russian culture and mythology to the colorful minor characters to the twisting, unpredictable premise and plot....it's near unexplainably good. I was just hooked from page 1. Every time I opened the book, it got better, and I couldn't figure out why. Did any of you experience this?
I'm not sure what to expect for the sequel. Being far away from the(fantastic, fascinating, delicious)Big Bad and the magical world of the Second Army has the potential to fail in lesser hands, but I'm sure Leigh Bardugo has more fun stored up for us. By the way, can anyone tell me how to pronounce that name?
Were I to rate it for television, I'd probably put it somewhere around TV-PG. There's very little sex(so sorry, folks)and even less language-though, of course, you do have the volcra. And the Cut. So, lots of ripping and dismembering and...hmm....maybe I oughta reconsider that rating.
Overall, I'd give it somewhere around a 95/100. I need to read some sucky books. These bestsellers are screwing up the curve.
May your swords stay sharp and your chocolate stocks always plentiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment