Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Monster Fangirls 2: Electro Boogaloo

Should I move my lazy bum and do a weird holiday blog post to account for my unannounced hiatus? Yes. Will I? Evidently not right now.
(Spoilers for Carmilla the Series)
Marvel is pushing me back into my villain-loving mindset. And before the hordes are set upon me, yes, I am aware that the Spidey reboot technically isn't Marvel. But as that's two movies out of a giant history of owning the characters, it's not really good enough to stop me.
As briefly mentioned in the parent post, I have a deep and abiding love for villains with a soft side and heroes with a dark side, especially if the story universe has heavy themes of ethics.
Just a week or so ago, I watched the engaging pilot for a show I'm long overdue starting, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. And, as sometimes happens, I found myself caring primarily for one character in specific: Peterson.
As I'm not sure if he appears again, I'll give you guys a quick recap: Peterson is Michael Peterson(I loathe the name Mike, for undisclosed reasons), an "unregistered gifted" living modestly with his son. He starts off mainly pulling Peter Parkers on the occasional collapsing buildings, trying to lie low power-wise, but swiftly ends up with a skewed moral center due to experimental drugs and power highs.
Honestly, I loved him from the first. I dig good-hearted, morally grey men, what can I say? Also, he reminded me of someone.
While they're not identical, Max Dillon and Michael Peterson share some similarities. Well-intentioned morally grey men of color who end up losing their better judgment due at least in part to sudden power. Difference is, Peterson got a second chance. Max might not.
I hope he does. So much.
On the side of villain-to-hero, I have an ambiguous vampire character I can actually support. Y'know, a non-stalkerly one. Her name is Carmilla.
To fill you in(again), Carmilla originated as a lesbian erotic novel from the 1800s centered around a vampire who preyed on lonely young women. Today, it's an exciting webseries about a strange college plagued by mysterious disappearances. Of course, no self-respecting protagonist would leave that alone.
However, this broody vampire's healing arc doesn't really come from watching her roommate sleep, or even from the eventual romance between them. It's a gradual recognition of right, wrong, and independence. And it's kind of awesome.
I have too many obsessions, don't I?
May your swords stay sharp and your chocolate stocks always plentiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment